Friday, January 12, 2007

I miss my Dad

One of the best decisions and biggest mistakes I made in my life was to move away from my family.

It was 1993 and I was 24 years old. I was recently married and we didn't have any children. I received a job offer to move to Phoenix for $10.00 an hour. At the time I was making just over $6.00 an hour. I was giddy about starting a new job and making my new salary. I told myself at the time that it was ok to move away from family because my parents were still in their 50's, I had few responsibilities and wanted some adventure.

It is now 2007. I am still married to the same wonderful woman. I have two beautiful children, a nice home and a great job. However, mom has been gone for a few years now. One of my sisters moved just outside Oklahoma City. My dad remarried and is now living in Waco. I have not created a lasting friendship with anyone like the friends I had in Texas.

I have been able to forge a career out of the things I have learned during these last 14 years. I have the job I have now because of the previous experiences. I truly enjoy what I do for a living.

The question is....would I have been as successful had I stayed in Texas? I can't answer that question. What I can say is that I think it was the worst decision I ever made in moving away from my family but it was probably the best career move I could have made.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your family misses you and your family too. There is something to be said about siblinging and cousining!