Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Individual achievements

How do you think someone can achieve the greatest personal achievements in their life? Going to school and getting a good education? Taking time to do things that will get you noticed by your boss or your friends?

Its amazing how many times I have reflected upon the core teachings of Jesus and realized that while on the surface there is much to be learned about the world and about yourself, that it is the deeper hidden ideas behind what it means to follow the teachings of Christ that really blow me away.

For instance, today I received a wonderful email from my boss and friend DJ. It was filled with glowing praise and appreciation for my work at my job. My first reaction was "what did I do to deserve such praise?" and "man I feel like I don't do anything compared to what others do within the company"

So I started to think about how I felt and then I remembered what it was like to work at my old job at a major university. The university environment is filled with people that are basically looking out for themselves. They preach that they are their to serve the students but ultimately they are looking out for themselves and trying to get everyone to notice them and what they are doing. Often times at the expense of others.

So I realized that it was different at this company first of all. Second I realized that this was exactly the kind of mind set that Jesus spoke about when he mentioned serving others and think of others before yourself.

I don't go to work everyday to try to get people to notice what I am doing. I am there to help everyone at my job succeed. I am there to help our customers succeed. If I get recognized because of that then so be it. But I get my satisfaction from seeing others do well and seeing my customers do well.

No comments: