Thursday, April 26, 2007

Think before you communicate...

I have experienced enough in my life to realize that people will react differently to different situations. Some people will react different to the same situation if presented with the opportunity. Some people will react as you would never expect them to. So what do you do? Do you not communicate for fear that you will get a negative reaction? I believe there is too much of that going on in this world. I grew up with this mentality, my niece has the mentality presently and some of my co-workers have this mentality.

What kind of a world would this have to be in order to be able to speak your mind knowing that the receiver of your message would think rationally and without emotion?

Unfortunately we do not live in that world. We live in a world that is controlled by our emotions. A world that is filled with large amounts of selfish pride.

Knowing this leads you to only one real way to communicate. Do not communicate in anyway unless you are sure of how the receiver is going to "FEEL" about it. Granted you cannot always predict it every time but you will save yourself a lot of heartache and pain by putting a little thought into what and when you say things.

Sometimes you need to ask yourself "Should I send this email?" or "Should I respond to what he or she said?" or "Is a response going to make the situation better or worse?"

I can't tell you how many times I have written out an email and then just deleted it. Sometimes I will write out an email to put what I REALLY want to say just to vent. You can't imagine how therapeutic that can be.

So lesson for today....THINK before you open your mouth!

No comments: