Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The house I remember visiting when I was a small child

It is amazing what you remember from your childhood. I can remember playing hockey on the local elementary hockey rink every winter in Anchorage Alaska. I remember specific lines in the asphalt on the road in front of my house. I remember because we would have "wheelie" contest to see who could hold it the longest. There was a line right in front of my house that we would always use as a starting point. I remember so much from my time in Alaska. I have many fond memories growing up there.

But today I wanted to help you see what it was like going to visit my mom's parents house in Point Comfort, Texas. Point Comfort is a very small town on the southern coast of Texas. It is close to places like Corpus Christi and Padre Island. Point Comfort was right next to Port Lavaca. I specifically remember the name Port Lavaca because my dad told me a story about how Lavaca meant "cow" in Spanish and how a herd of cows were killed either in the bay or near the bay or something like that.

What holds the most memories for me in Point Comfort was the pier that extended some 40 to 50 feet out into the bay out behind my grand parents house. I spent countless hours on that pier fishing. I caught everything from croakers to red fish to the occasional crab. I could literally tell you dozens of stories I remember experiencing as a kid. Sometimes I would just enjoy being near the water. The smell of salt water. The sound of mullets jumping out of the water. The sight of seeing large ships passing way off into the distance. What I would give to be able to sit on that pier one more time. Perhaps sitting with my kids and watching them fish.

I also remember the large number of fish tanks my grandma had in the room just adjacent to the garage. We are talking somewhere in the order of 20 fish tanks. I couldn't tell you the types of fish that were in it. But I could tell you how all the fish tank bubble machines would sound at night when we were sleeping in the living room.

I remember loving to visit my grandparents because the non-animated TV show Batman was on the TV. I would stop whatever I was doing to watch Batman.

There is a sound I distinctly remember hearing as I laid in the living room to sleep. The sound of this old wall clock that hung just above the passageway between the kitchen and the dining room. It was so loud. Tick Tick Tick Tick. But it didn't bother me because I knew when I heard it, I knew where I was.

I remember the red velvet drapery, the large gaudy golden head board and the golden carpet in my grandparents bedroom. I wasn't allow to go in their bedroom other than to look in when I was standing outside. I remember going to the house to help paint and repair it after grandpa died. I remember seeing the rust stains in the carpet from the lead weights that were in the bottom of the red drapes to help keep them hanging straight.

I remember being in the car the night my uncle Dick ran over a rattlesnake. They brought it home and we cut it open. The snake had just eaten a mouse. Dad cut off the rattle and kept it.

I also remember the box of old toys that were like finding the pot at the end of the rainbow when I would come to visit. The toys were crappy little pieces of junk but I loved playing with them when we would arrive from making the long trip.

As I said, I could go on and on about things I remember about that house. I don't know why I thought to blog about it. I just thought it would be a nice thing for my family to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

some of the best times of our lives....KT