Friday, December 15, 2006

The Burglary Next Door (Chapter One)

So there I was, downstairs in the basement of our old house playing on the computer. B calls me from the main floor and exclaims "I think I hear someone breaking glass outside. Can you come here for a second?" Thinking that she was crazy or more likely that it was something other than glass, I headed upstairs to investigate.

We lived in a section of town where the houses were built very close together. The houses are no more than 10-15 feet apart on average. So when I arrived upstairs in the kitchen, much to my surprise, there was an individual standing just outside the window of the house directly to the east of us. I looked at B, I looked back outside, I looked at B and then I asked her "Do we know this person?"

At that time, we had not become too friendly with our new neighbors but I did know what they looked like and I knew that this person was not them. So it was at that moment that I could feel the wannabe cop in me start to swell. Our first thought was to really make sure that what we feared was happening was actually happening.

"Perhaps they are home, and they are having someone dressed in dark clothes wearing a black stocking cap work on replacing that particular window pane. If I see the guy start to crawl through the window I am going to call the police because anyone at 10:00 pm on a Friday who is working a window shouldn't need to actually crawl through it." These were my thoughts at that time.

Not a moment later the person laid a towel down so as not to cut themselves on the freshly broken glass and start to crawl in the window. So I picked up the phone hanging the kitchen wall and dialed 911.

"Hello, this the police department what is your emergency?"

"Hello, I live at 531 Weber Road and there is someone breaking a window out of the house next door and has crawled in through the window."

"Do you know the address of the house?"

"No, but it is directly to the east of us."

"So you don't know the address?"

"No"

"Can you see the person in the house?"

"Wait, let me see if I ca.....WHOA....he just walked in front of the window so I ducked down. But yes I can see him in the house."

"What is he wearing?"

"Black stocking cap, dark colored pants and dark colored shirt and he is a white guy. Wait, I think I just saw someone else trying to crawl through the window."

"Are you sure, did you get a look?"

"No but I swear I thought I saw someone."

"Ok, sir the police are on their way."

All of a sudden a bright light appeared from the sky and I could hear some shouting from out back.

.....to be continued

No comments: