Monday, December 4, 2006

Musical taste (or lack there of)

So is it bad that my musical tastes range from MC Hammer to Smash Mouth to Steven Curtis Chapman to 70's and 80's TV theme songs? Oh and did I mention that I LOVE 70's disco? I was born in 1969 and grew up listening to 1080 KANC AM in Anchorage Alaska.

I graduated from high school in 1987 so I also LOVE 80's music as well. My mp3 collection has in excess of 7000 songs. It is quite hysterical to see the expressions I get from people when my random shuffle setting on iTunes is concluding AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night" and starting the praise and worship singers singing the latest uplifting hymn. Only to have "Sexual Healing" start after it.

I can remember when my sister was in college at the University of North Texas studying music. My ability to gauge quality musicians is as developed as my ability to work on a car. Basically it is non-existent. So when she made fun of my ascertain that Twisted Sister was a "great" band you can understand what it takes to satisfy my musical palette.

Is it bad that I like most any song that is catchy? I mean how much more catchy could "We're Not Gonna Take" be, really?

The best part about my musical tastes is that I know it drives some people CRAZY. My sister-in-law is married to a drummer. She is extremely intelligent and has her PhD in Psychology. Her husband has been playing drums since....well...I don't know how long. She has a heart of gold and I am proud to call her my family. But when she she announced that Van Halen was untalented and no good....my world and my favorable opinion of her both took a big shot across the face. Next thing she would probably say is that the Scorpions are a typical 80's hair band!

HOW can you NOT like Van Halen? But just then I remembered a time several christmas' ago when her husband received a DVD of an relatively obscure band (OK I am just pissed about the Van Halen crack and want to make fun of her band). They sat in the room with the TV and DVD player listening to the music as if it were imprinting itself on their very soul. You know the type, sitting in a semi-erect position on a couch with the eyes closed swaying ever so gently back and forth and a small but satisfied grin on their face.

Here is my Jerry Springer closing...

Don't make fun of the musically challenged. I tend to associate music and specific songs with different times in my life. Just because the band can't play quality music to save their lives shouldn't mean they deserve any less respect (well maybe not Twisted Sister).

No comments: