Friday, December 8, 2006

"Honey, you will like her husband, I think he likes..."

My wife and I relocated to a different state right after we were married in 1993. I had just taken a job in Phoenix, Arizona (for a whopping $10.00 an hour). Neither one of us had ever been to Phoenix, much less lived there. So we were severely lacking in friends. For whatever reason my wife can make friends much easier than I can.

I did not realize at the time but it was in 1994 when I began my trek through the process I like to call "Honey, you will like her husband, I think he likes..."

This process is very familiar to many husbands around the world. It is the process by which we as husbands are taken to an adult version of a "play date." You husbands know what I am talking about. Your wife comes home one night after school or work or a trip to the mall. She tells you that she made plans with another couple because she wants to try and make more friends.

My wife has done this to me more times than I would like to count. While the main motivation for doing this is to try and find someone that B can become friends with, I know that there is a small portion of her that really wants to find me a friend.

I would like to think of myself as a typical guy's guy. I like watching football, basketball and baseball. I grew up playing video games. I am a fantasy sport fanatic. I like playing softball, golf, sandlot football and even throw a Frisbee around.

Now please don't misunderstand, I know for a fact that the men my wife has introduced me to are very nice people. They are good fathers and husbands. But for some reason, and I suspect this is true of most men in similar situations, these "blind dates" never stick.

And what would Jerry Springer say...

Ladies, no matter how well intentioned you are and no matter how much you think we will "hit it off" with the husband or boyfriend of one of your friends, I promise you your husband will not become life long friends with another man you set him up with.

No comments: